<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, April 11, 2004

More Unemployment Experiments 

I have often wondered how long it actually takes to kill yourself with carbon monoxide poisoning. You know when you sit in the car with the windows up until you die. I am curious and don't have time to investigate. Thanks
Chupa

Chupa, thank you for the question. It's one that has crossed my mind many a time as well.... actually now that I think about it, it's something my wife has suggested I find out. I decided that if I was going to be performing experiments that it was important that I used more of a scientific bent. Therefore, for this trial I used a control group.

I was the control group. I was to sit safely in the house, free from carbon monoxide, watching the hockey playoffs. My dog, meanwhile, was placed in the car for the other side of the experiment. I know some of you might believe this to be cruel, but that's not so. My dog loves the car and he was very excited when I opened the door and herded him into the back. I then slipped into the driver's seat, turned on the car, got out, closed the garage door and left.

Now my plan was to check back every sixty seconds to keep an eye on the dog's progress. You know what they say about the best laid plans... I got really caught up in the hockey game, then, after it was over I kinda dozed off.

Later, when my wife got home from work she found the dog in the garage, the car still running. She came in hysterical, but once I reminded her how jealous the dog had been about the new baby and how depressed he'd seemed lately...it all made sense...he committed suicide.

The experiment wasn't a complete waste, I know that it takes somewhere between a minute and 4 and 1/2 hours to kill yourself with carbon monoxide poisoning. Chupa, I hope that helps.

Again, please feel free to send along any other experiments you'd like me to try or any questions you might have.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory